Created By: Altered Landscapes / Preserved Landscapes
Built from railroad rails and metal rods in 1877, this bowstring truss bridge was the first of its kind, resulting in two new patents. Designers Oliver Avery, Jr. and Caleb Bartholomew used this design to help launch the Groton Bridge Company in Groton, NY which went on to become a worldwide supplier of metal truss bridges. This is the only surviving Avery/Bartholomew patent bridge.
This bridge, originally crossing Fall Creek on Elm Street Extension near Nubia, now stands near the Town of Groton Building in Groton, NY.
William P. Chamberlin, PE, Schenectady, NY, Historic American Engineering Record,
This point of interest is part of the tour: 20 Historical Bridges in Tompkins County, NY