Created By: DCR Massachusettes
Bastion D housed the forts hospital from the Civil War all the way until 1906. No records exist detailing how the hospital was laid out during the civil war, but as of 1870 it had two ward rooms each with 15 beds. Examinations and operations were conducted in an adjacent room. Eventually it was replaced by a more modern hospital on the outside of the fort. After that time, the ward rooms served as the fort’s library. By the 1940’s, a Post Exchange here provided supplies, personal items, and souvenirs to the garrisoned soldier.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Self Guided Tour, Fort Warren, George's Island