Created By: Douglas T Stiff
As the region’s population grew at the end of the 1800s, there was an increasing need for a dedicated site for Anglican services, which had previously been delivered informally from porches and private properties of local residents. In 1892, St. Stephen’s was constructed in Britannia Village. It is one of two historical churches to serve the community, and the only one remaining today. The church, made of polished ash, was consecrated in 1916 and electric lighting added in 1920. However, by 1952, the region’s growth led to the creation of a separate parish and new church, which is used presently and located on Watson Street. The architecture, as described on its heritage designation plaque, notes:
“A vernacular interpretation of the Gothic Revival style, it features the pointed-arch windows and door, simple rectangular form and tower commonly associated with the style” (City of Ottawa, 2010).
This point of interest is part of the tour: Britannia Village History