Created By: North Dakota State University
A public work project the original Island Park pool was built in the late 1930's. Designed by S. Marius Houkom the original complex included locker rooms on the main level, seating on the pool level, and diving boards, both high and low. The pool was moved to its current location which include the lone wall of the Fargo Sports Arena. The present day tennis courts are located where the original pool once was. The bleachers still present surrounding the west side of the tennis courts.
S. Marius Houkom was born Sveinung Marius Houkom on April 24, 1891 in Mekinock, North Dakota. Originally a farmer, he eventually earned a college education at North Dakota Agricultural College, now NDSU, and later the University of Michigan for architecture. He became a partner in Braseth and Houkom, an architecture firm, in the early 1920’s until he established his own during World War II. He opened one more partnership firm for five years in the 1950’s and then practiced independently until 1978. Some of his architectural projects in Fargo include the original Island Park Pool, NDSU field house, and many churches. He also designed several houses and other commercial buildings in the area. Houkom served as the president and vice president of the North Dakota State Board of Architecture. After he retired in 1978 he moved to Wisconsin and lived with his daughter until he died on November 3, 1980.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Island Park: Fargo's First Park