Phelps House

Heritage Hill Historic District Walking Tour

Phelps House

Burlington, Iowa 52601, United States

Created By: Heritage Hill Association

Point of Interest Details

William Garrett 1844 – 1920, graduated from Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass., in
1861, Yale College in 1867, and Columbia College Law School, New York City, in
1869; was admitted to the bar in New York in 1869 and commenced practice in
Burlington. Served as a private during the Civil War in Company E and as second
lieutenant in Company G, One Hundred and Sixth Regiment, New York Volunteer
Infantry, in 1864 and 1865; resumed the practice of law in Burlington, Iowa; elected
as a Republican to the Fifty-sixth and to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4,
1899-March 3, 1907). Charles Phelps 1825 – 1891, Mr. Phelps formed a law practice
with the Hon. J.C. Hall, he was appointed to the Circuit Judgeship of the 1st Judicial
District of Iowa.
The house was built in 1851 it is a 2 story brick with a gable roof. A gable end faced
Columbia street with a 2 story porch running the length of the east façade. There
was a 1 story frame wing on the south side. Windows were 6 over 6 with stone
lintels. IN 1871 major additions were made and the main house doubled in size. The
addition of a mansard roof on the 3rd floor gives the house an appearance of Second
Empire style. Also added were eave brackets and the Italian Villa entrance tower
with its 2 balconies that face Columbia. The house is bordered on the east by a
limestone retaining wall and cobblestone alley on the west by Snake Alley. From
1894 – 1899 it was loaned to the Burlington Hospital.

This point of interest is part of the tour: Heritage Hill Historic District Walking Tour


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to