Created By: Tree Street Area Art Safari
Picton Cresent and the significance of the street names in the paving
By 1910, there had been a further sub-division to the west of Jarrah Street, comprising Banksia, Palm and Wattle streets, but there appears to have been very little development in those streets, with only one elector recorded at Palm Street in 1910. There was also sub-division to the north, with re-shaping of the northern portion of Jarrah Street to form present day Picton Crescent, where the first residences were built by 1910. There were changes to Lots74-76 and 77-79 fronting Jarrah St. in consequence. Changes were made also to some lots fronting southern portions of Karri, Tuart and Jarrah sts., and the adjoining lots fronting Beach Rd., with additional lots created with frontages to the former, as shown on a plan in 1912.29 Hence it is suggested that the proposed Tree Streets Area include Picton Crescent and the northern portion of Tuart Street. Closer to central Bunbury, Picton Crescent was favored by the middle class, in contrast to the predominance of working class people in Karri, Tuart and Jarrah streets at this period.30
In c. 1920, a photograph of Jarrah St. south of Stockley Road, shows dwellings on all the lots in Jarrah Street, with little development to the south of Beach Road, where market gardens and vineyards continued to be worked. At street no. 6 Jarrah Street, there is a mature Norfolk Island Pine (which remains in 2004, and is a significant tree) and two mature trees are growing in the nearby verge. Each residence is fenced at the boundaries.33 The photograph reveals a number of the significant characteristics of the Heritage Area were already evident by this date, in particular the wide street verges, substantial set back of the dwellings, the cohesive nature of design styles and building materials, front and rear gardens, with timber and/or cyclone wire fencing, low level at the front boundaries providing an open aspect to the street. These are among the characteristics valued by current residents.34
Paving Street Names
In the 1950s, the Bunbury Council introduced an initiative designed as street signage at the each corner intersection in the town centre. It also extended south to the Tree Street area and up to the Highway Hotel. The work was carried out by Council employees and consisted of stylised street names of asphalt letters cast into concrete slabs which form part of the footpath. This technique may have been a response by Council engineering staff to address a need for more permanent street signage as the Bunbury townsite area expanded.
"Lyndhurst" at 2 Jarrah Street, is a single storey timber and iron house constructed in the Federation Queen Anne style of Architecture. The walls are timber framed and clad with timber weatherboards. The roof is hipped and clad with corrugated iron. The verandah is under a separate corrugated iron bullnose roof supported by chamfered and turned timber posts with decorative timber brackets and frieze. There is a lean-to verandah on one side. The symmetrical front façade has a central front door with sidelights flanked on either side by timber framed double hung sash windows with sidelights and modern security screens fitted. There is a rendered chimney evident. The house is situated at street level. There is a timber picket fence to the front boundary line. Previous descriptive notes state: The interior featured pressed metal lined walls and ceilings with some lath and plaster.
The date of construction of 2 Jarrah Street has not been determined as entries of the lot could not be found in the Bunbury Rate Books prior to 1921. It is thought that House, 2 Jarrah Street was constructed c. 1905. In 1921, 2 Jarrah Street was owned by a Mr Goldsmith. In that year, it was purchased by Charles Henry Tomkinson, a butcher. Mr Tomkinson was still the owner and occupant in 1951.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Back up 1-30-17 at 8:35 AM - Tree Street Art Safari Architecture Tour - Copy