Created By: Sarah Mims
Located at the bottom of the hill the Pocopson Creek Bridge spanned the creek of the same name. Built around 1872 by brothers Menander (carpenter) and Ferdinand Wood (mason) it was likely a King Post type bridge with a relatively short span of 50 feet. The Wood brothers built at least 20 bridges together in Chester County and about 50 more individually with other contractors. The bridge connected Pocopson Township to the east with Pennsbury Township to the west on Street Road. When the bridge was originally built Denton Hollow road connected to Street Road at the bridge's eastern approach. That early road carried travelers north to Denton's Mill, a woolen factory, and church in Denton Hollow. Straight ahead across Street Road once stood a cotton mill on the western bank of the Pocopson Creek. The mill was destroyed by fire after being struck by lightning in the late 1870's and was never rebuilt. Early photographs of Street Road are easily identified by the utility poles on either side of the roadway. These poles carried the telegraph lines as well as early electrical power. The covered bridge was replaced in the 1930's with an open deck steel and concrete bridge on the original stone foundations. That bridge deck was replaced in the late 1970's also using the original stone foundations. In 1999 that bridge was replaced with a new concrete and steel bridge and the roadway was elevated on the western approach to the bridge as part of the Route 926 modifications between Parkersville and Pocopson. The roadwork improvements were part of a larger project concurrent with the construction of the Pocopson Elementary School on the former Pratt farm. Proceed to the stop sign and turn right onto Route 926 and travel east.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Bridges of Chester County's Lower Brandywine Creek watershed