Created By: Sarah Mims
The Village lacked a post office until the late 1800's. With 43 people living here, an application was made for a post office to be named "Locust Grove". However, the Federal post office would not accept the name because of possible confusion with existing Locust Grove post offices in Pennsylvania. The settlers then tried the name "Maple Grove", but that was rejected as well. The issue was settled when resident Harry Caldwell, age 28, went to Philadelphia to see a play whose heroine was named "Corinne". Apparantly stricken by the play (or the actress), he returned to suggest that the new post office be called "Corinne". The Corrine Post Office opened within the General Store on February 21, 1889. Robert Caldwell, the owner of the store, became the postmaster. Robert resigned his Postmaster job at age 93. No one else would accept the job, so the post office was closed in 1915, but the name lingers as Corinne Road.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Village of Locust Grove