Created By: Camden County Historical Society
William Cooper built a house above the Delaware River and named the adjacent land Pyne Poynt for the tall pine forest that grew there. William’s son Joseph obtained a Dutch style one story house built in 1695 from his father here in 1709. The older part of the house was the 14th oldest building in New Jersey and was built with native stone and measured 24 feet in width and 46 feet in length. The 2.5 story brick addition shown here was built for Joseph’s son Isaac sometime before 1785. The structure became known as the Cope House through marriage of Margaret Cooper to Israel Cope. Benjamin Franklin’s autobiography recalled him spending a cold night not far from this site on his maiden voyage to Philadelphia after his ferry boat got lost enroute from Burlington, N.J.
The house was destroyed by vandalism and fire. The Coopers Ferry Development Corporation plans to partially restore and memorialize the remains of the house.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Lower Cooper River