Created By: Myrtle Creek Historical Society
Built around 1900 by Remick Fate, the storefront at 112 Second Avenue is one of two historic buildings in town constructed of brick. The original doors and entry wells have been altered and the original tall windows replaced with shorter, aluminum frame windows.
In 1912, the northernmost bay was occupied by the Myrtle Creek Post Office and a general merchandise store. A grocery store was in the middle bay and the southernmost bay was a hardware store.
In 1931, a meat market occupied the northernmost bay. The remainder of building was occupied by a feed store and hardware store. In the 1930s, C.A. Strong rented space in this building for his furniture store. In recent years this building is best known as the location of Hanson’s Jewelers, which occupied the location for many years.
Remick Fate was the son of David Fate (the First Chairman of the First Republican Convention in Douglas County). Remick Fate was an entrepreneur who also farmed 500 acres near Myrtle Creek.
Photo of Fate building c.2007
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historical Sites Downtown Myrtle Creek