Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Located at 52 West Main Street is the Rockwell House. This wood frame Italianate home was built between 1860 and 1866 for Erastus Rockwell, who came to Dryden from New England and is known for building a woolen mill along Virgil Creek. Respected carpenter-builder Darius Givens is credited with the construction of this house. The wide overhanging eaves of the top story are supported by elaborate, S-shaped brackets. A one-story porch with decorative posts and carved braces extends across the main entrance façade. Old photographs reveal that a gazebo once stood in the garden. The property also includes a 19th century barn that is visible from Lewis Street. Georgiana Thomas Wood Rockwell, who subsequently lived in the house, is the great-grandmother of the current owner. The Van Sickle family branch has lived in the house since 1941. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Village of Dryden