Rowatt House (66 Bradford St.):

Britannia Village History

Rowatt House (66 Bradford St.):

Ottawa, Ontario K2B 5X1, Canada

Created By: Douglas T Stiff

Point of Interest Details

This heritage property was constructed in 1878 for John Rowatt and was renovated by his son, William Rowatt, in the 1890s, when Britannia Village became a popular summer resort. The nearby Rowatt Street is named for the family and their contributions to the community’s development. William was also a director at the Britannia Boathouse Club at the time. Its proposal for heritage status, which was granted in YEAR, notes:

“The vernacular building has Queen Anne Revival style influences [are] illustrated by the columns, cornice and flared skirt of the porch, as well as by the high attic with round-headed windows. The exterior of the wood structure retains a high degree of its 19th century integrity, and it is significant to the local environment because its site placement, form and materials reinforce the traditional qualities of the early building stock of Britannia.” (City of Ottawa, 1996)

This point of interest is part of the tour: Britannia Village History


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to