Created By: Temple Beth El
This block of East Broadway was known as "Shteibl Row," and is one of the few stretches of the Lower East Side where Jewish life is still visible. Shteibl means "little room" in Yiddish and refers to the one- and two-room synagogues that Hassidic Jews established for prayer, study, and community activities. Several of them are still in use today. Number 233 is home to the Congregation Beth Hachasidim de Polen, while the Chevra Zemach Zedek, founded in 1894, still worships at no. 241. Note also the houses at no. 247 and 249, which date from the 1830s, before the well-to do neighborhood was subject to mass immigration.
This point of interest is part of the tour: 5th Grade Lower East Side Tour