Created By: William J. Johnston Middle School
This building is a replica of the School for Colored Children that was in operation from 1804 to about 1840. When a site was selected for Bacon Academy, the one-room schoolhouse was rolled down the hill behind the church. The Bacon Academy Board of Trustees opted to reuse the building as a school to educate former slaves or the children of slaves. The original structure is on private property in Colchester.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Colchester Heritage Walk