Created By: William J. Johnston Middle School
The Union Monument was erected on September 17, 1875 and was sculpted by George E. Bissell. It is elevated on a 4' mound at the southern end of the 3.5-acre park known as the Town Green. Consisting of a base, tall pedestal, and soldier figure, all in granite, it is dedicated to those from Colchester who lost their lives in the war for the Union. This is one of two Civil War monuments in Colchester, the other is stationed in the northwest corner of Linwood Cemetery.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Colchester Heritage Walk