Created By: Corianne Conway
The Sams Family Cabin was built in 1875 south of Merritt Island in Eau Gallie. The family originally settled there but decided to move north after trying and failing to successfully grow oranges in the arid sandy soil of Eau Gallie. In 1878 the Sams family decided to move to the north east side of Merritt Island called Pine Island. This area is called Pine Island Conservation Area today, due to the large pine trees found on site. The Sams family consisted of Mr. and Mrs. Sams their six children and Mr. Sams' brother and sister. The cabin today has been opened into one large room. The bottom floor of the cabin was used for church services, meeting areas, and school. The family then slept in a loft like area above. They would have had a seperate building to act as a kitchen and another small building to act as a outhouse. The family of 10 lived in the three room cabin for ten years, while saving enough money to build the white vernacular style home next door.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Discovery Trail