Created By: Sarah Mims
The area to the left, Buffington's Ford was an early 18th century crossing point on the east branch of the Brandywine Creek within Bradford Township. The ford was named for the Buffington family who owned land in the area. On September 11, 1777 Conitinental forces guarded this location against a potential flanking maneuver by the British. By 1862 Francis and William Shaw had purchashed the former Buffington farm west of the ford. A covered bridge was constructed by Nathan Yester at the site of the former ford and the new structure would be know as Shaw's Bridge. It was 100 feet in length with a 16 foot wide roadway. The bridge was built in a difficult loaction and by 1927 the weakened narrow bridge was in a compromised condition. Arsonists burned the covered bridge in 1953 and a new 258 foot steel and concrete replacement was constructed by the state. Proceed north on Route 842 and turn left onto North Creek Road.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Bridges of Chester County's Lower Brandywine Creek watershed