Created By: North Dakota State University
In March of 1952 at the 5th annual North Dakota Spring Market Hog Show, the NDAC Livestock Pavillion was renamed the Shepperd Arena. This building can hold 1,500 people, and it has as well arrival rooms for the livestock and and a meat laboratory. In the 1970s, the arena grew and expanded its meat laboratory. Little International, Shepperd Arena’s biggest event of the year, uses the arena for livestock judging as well as the “Dance In The Chips” Dance to end the weekend. Today, the building is also home for the NDSU Meat Lab facilities, as well as classrooms to teach equine, livestock, and meat classes.
J.H. Shepperd was influential to NDAC’s agricultural and animal husbandry early success. Born on an Iowa farm in 1869, he then went to graduate at Iowa Agricultural College and then received a Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural science from Iowa State in 1891. In 1893, he went to get a master’s in Agriculture at the University of Wisconsin. It was in that same year that he came to NDAC and was named Professor of Agriculture and the Agriculturalist of the North Dakota Experiment Station. 1906 was when he became dean of the School of Agriculture as well as still an acting professor.
The year 1929 not only effect the United States, but NDAC as well. The crash of the stock market affected staff numbers, salaries, and standing budgets. When the president of the university left in 1929, Shepperd was named acting president and then was offered the position in March of 1930. Because of disagreements with the Board of Administration, Shepperd resigned in 1937. J.H. Shepperd expanded the agricultural and meat science departments greatly and influenced its success today.
This point of interest is part of the tour: North Dakota State University Walking Tour