Created By: Myrtle Creek Historical Society
The house at 231 Third Ave is now known as the Painted Lady Bed & Breakfast. It was originally built for Simon & Helen Selig, circa 1900. This century old house is in excellent condition, however, it has received some alterations to the windows and front doors.
Simon Selig was born in Prussia in 1834. He came to Oregon in 1863. In 1866 he married Helen Solomon. The first year he was in Oregon, he bought a branch of the S. Marks and Company, a mercantile business in Oakland. About 1877, Marks Wollenberg and Company purchased the Hans Weaver and Sons mercantile business in Myrtle Creek. Selig managed this branch of the company. Selig was also postmaster between 1884 and 1889. Their son, Nathan Selig, became Mayor in 1905. He also owned mercantile stores in town.
At separate times, this was also the home of the Ireland family and the family of Cordelia Chapin Rice. In later years, ‘Bud’ and JoAnn Agee converted the house to a real estate office. Most recently, Mr & Mrs Dan Jocoy converted it to the Painted Lady Bed & Breakfast & Tea Room.
STYLE OF ARCHITECTURE: Colonial Revival
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historical Sites Downtown Myrtle Creek