Created By: Ithaca Heritage
The Southworth Library was a gift to the people of Dryden from Jennie McGraw Fiske, daughter of lumber millionaire John McGraw. She left $30,000, for the formation of the Southworth Library Association, named in honor of her mother and grandfather, John Southworth. With this money the town hired renowned architect William H. Miller to design the building, which was completed in 1894. With its steeple-like bell tower the beautiful stone building evokes the larger Uris Library, also designed by Miller. It was recently expanded with a new addition and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ithaca Heritage Sampler