Created By: ULSARA
St Bartholomew's Church was consecrated in 1867. Many of its original features are well maintained, including the Sanctuary mosaics on the walls and the elaborate wrought iron Choir Screen. The architect was Thomas Wyat, referred to by John Betjeman as 'one of the dullest Victorian architects.' The church has always been known for its High Anglican liturgical tradition.
The organ in St Bartholomew's was built in 1887 by Gray and Davison. It was rebuilt in 1925 and again in 1963 and is now being rebuilt again.
Since 1972, St Bartholomew's has been linked to Christ Church, Leeson Park, first opened for public worship in 1862.When Methodist Centenary Church, St Stephen's Green, was destroyed by fire in 1968, it accepted an invitation to worship in Christ Church. It has remained there since and both congregations come together for a Joint Service on the third and fifth Sundays of the month and at the Great Festivals of the Church.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Upper Leeson Street Area Dublin Walking Tour