Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
Constructed in 1860, this church replaced the original brick church built on the same site in 1824. The adjoining parish house was added in 1888. In 1892 the church was enlarged, and in 1913 a new chancel was built. Like the Old Courthouse, St. John's is Gothic Revival and built of bricks, here painted white to resemble stone. The main tower of St. John's, a distinctive feature on the Ithaca skyline, is topped by an attenuated hexagonal spire crowned with a Maltese Cross.
This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District