Created By: Matt Postal
This understated example of Post-Modernism was designed by Harold Buttrick, of Buttrick White + Burtis, in 1987. It is located on a (relatively) quiet stretch of West 58th Street, near Seventh Avenue. Faced with brownish red brick and limestone trim, the simple symmetrical facade sets back in stages and incorporates understated neo-Georgian style details, including a central roof pediment. This famous boys school was founded in 1919 and the structure, which incorporates a dorm and faculty housing, was built as part of real estate swap with the developer Fisher Brothers who were erecting an office building on West 55th Street, its previous location. The occulus near the top illuminates the school chapel.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Post-Modern Manhattan: West 50s + 60s