Created By: PH Project
The State Theatre originally known as Reade’s State Theatre opened its doors on December 26th, 1921. It was known then as “one of the biggest, most lavish, and modern theaters in the region”. Eventually silent films and vaudeville acts were superseded by “talkies” and the Golden Age of film where many Hollywood stars such as Gary Cooper and Houdini made personal appearances. Into the 1960s audiences began to flock to multiplex cinemas and by the late 1970s the state theatre was in ruins until it “was purchased by the New Brunswick Development Corporation (DevCo) as part of New Brunswick’s revitalization project”. The New Brunswick Cultural Center later acquired the theatre in 1986 and on April 24, 1988 the theatre reopened. In December of 2003 a $3 million project was underway to restore the theatre as closely as possible to its original appearance. Today the State Theatre is New Jersey’s “second largest not-for-profit presenting hall”. The State Theatre not only entertains the community but it also works with students and teachers for educational programs such as Scientists Exploring the Arts.
Reading Between the Landscapes
Consider why is it necessary to have the State Theatre easily available and accessible to the community? What may have New Brunswick been like before the theatre opened and what positive effects might it have had on the youth in the almost 100 years it has been apart of the city?
"About." State Theatre New Jersey. Accessed April 17, 2017. https://www.statetheatrenj.org/about/history.
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Brunswick: A Walk through the Past