Created By: Downtown Ithaca Alliance
Designed by Henry N. Hinckley in 1915 as the Bovard Brothers' Security Garage, the building was bought by Cornell Theatres, Inc. and redesigned by Victor A. Rigaumont in 1928 as a theatre. It is the last remaining cinema and vaudeville palace of Ithaca. The lavish interior features a mix of Moorish, Gothic, and Renaissance styles under a ceiling with painted lights resembling bright stars. The theatre closed in 1980 and remained unused for seventeen years. Plans for demolition were made, but Historic Ithaca, with the help of strong community support, was able to buy, renovate, and revive the theatre. In 2009, the State Theatre of Ithaca took ownership and has since completed cosmetic and structural renovations.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Architectural Walking Tour of Downtown Ithaca