Created By: North Dakota State University
Dacotah Field was first built in 1910 and has undergone various changes over the years. Its first location was just northeast of Festival Concert Hall. It was a simple set up and wasn’t enclosed at first. That problem was solved thanks to Mr. C.F. Leonard, a representative from the American Steel and Wire Fence Company, when he kindly donated fencing. The fencing was described to be substantial and artistic. The dimensions of this first fence had a distance of eight feet to the inside and paralleling the fence. The planners also planted a hedge around the field. This hedge was used to make the field more appealing and to block out people’s views from the outside. It took a while for the hedge to grow tall enough to block out views so a temporary wall was used for it during that time.
In 1938, Dacotah field under went one of its first big changes. As part of the Works Progress Administration construction projects, a quarter mile track and 7,000 seat stadium were added to Dacotah Field. About ten years later, Dacotah Field would relocate to its current spot on campus and was open in time for the 1950 football season. In 1952, a fire occurred and destroyed roughly two-thirds of Dacotah Field’s wooden bleachers. The bleachers got a big update in 1972 thanks to the New England Patriots, the wooden bleachers were removed and a 7,000 seat grandstand was built. Dacotah Field began yet another transformation in 2013. It got refurbished seating, new sound system, and better lights which lead to it being used more. Today, it is home to NDSU Women’s Soccer team and used by a variety of other athletic teams as a practice facility. In the winter time you can see a bubble placed over Dacotah Field for that exact reason.
This point of interest is part of the tour: North Dakota State University Walking Tour