Created By: Preservation Greensboro
Greensboro is a city that appreciates its past, and that sense of history is well demonstrated in the story of the King Chair. The chair was constructed in the backyard of the home of master stone mason Andrew Leopold Schlosser, a native of Slovenia who moved to Greensboro in 1899. Schlosser was selected to complete numerous commissions on fine homes and parks throughout Greensboro, but he is best remembered for his contributions in Fisher Park. Seventy years after his death, the Schlosser family wanted a safe and public site for the fanciful composition they called the “King Chair”. Working with the City of Greensboro, the Fisher Park Neighborhood Association and family members, architect Carl Myatt spearheaded efforts to site the chair – where else? In Fisher Park’s West Park. Today, everyone can enjoy this whimsical piece that was designed by one of Greensboro’s earliest artists...surrounded by homes and bridges also by his hand.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Fisher Park Walking Tour