Created By: PocketSights Ruthmere Tours
This tank car, 16039, was built for the New York Central system in December, 1952 for the transportation of liquids. Most tank cars will only transport one particular liquid in their service lives because of the extra work needed to clean out a tank car to prevent contamination of a different product. Although this is only a single dome tank car, many tank cars had two or three domes which usually indicated the tank car was divided into two or three internal compartments, thus allowing transportation of several types of liquid. Many tank cars are privately owned. This car was donated to the museum by Sturgis Iron and Metal in 2006.
This point of interest is part of the tour: National New York Central Railroad Museum (Purple Tour)