Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
Designed by Eli Goldstein of Buffalo, Temple Beth-El was constructed in 1928. Though the first Jewish residents probably arrived in Ithaca in the 1850s, the first congregation was formed in 1906. The temple derives its form from Islamic architecture, in particular, Persian mosques. The basis is a cube, topped by an octagon, topped by a dome. The main entrance is marked by a double door with stained glass depicting a menorah in the arch above.
This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District