Created By: Anne Steinert
The Terrace Plaza Hotel, financed by developer John J. Emery, was designed by Natalie De Blois and Gordon Bunshaft at Skidmore Owings and Merrill and completed in 1948. This early modernist design featured two department stores, Bonds and J.C. Penny, on the lower floors and a luxury hotel above. The hotel lobby was situated in the 8th floor accessed by a pair of high speed elevators and adorned with an Alexander Calder mobile. The exclusive Gourmet Room restaurant sat in a glass enclosure on the building's 20th floor and featured a mural by Joan Miro. The main restaurant, called the Skyline Room, featured a mural of Cincinnati landmarks by cartoonist Saul Steinberg. The Miro mural and a portion of the Steinberg mural are now in the Cincinnati Art Museum. The building is now vacant.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Downtown Cincinnati - Anne D. Steinert