Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Ithaca College began in 1892 as the Ithaca Conservatory, a music school with 8 staff members and 132 students. The conservatory was the project of W. Grant Egbert, a violin virtuoso from Danby who spent much of his time studying in Europe. In its first years, the school had several highly renowned musicians as teachers, and it gained much support from the Ithacan community. The conservatory moved into the Boardman house on East Buffalo Street in 1911, and by 1920 was expanding to include several affiliated schools for subjects other than music. The Ithaca Conservatory and these affiliations were rechartered as Ithaca College in 1931.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ithaca Heritage Sampler