Created By: PocketSights Ruthmere Tours
The Bucklen Opera House was opened in 1884 on the Northwest corner of Main and Harrison streets. The Bucklen Opera House seated twelve hundred people, who were once entertained by stars such as Houdini, a famous magician and escape artist, and Jenny Lind, a well-known Swedish opera singer. Elkhart’s first motion picture was shown here in 1896 and was used as the Bucklen theatre until 1956. The building was used as a ballet school, rehearsal hall for the Elkhart Symphony Orchestra, and as a home for a variety of stores. It was a center of social activity until its demolition in 1986.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Elkhart's Beardsley Tour (Blue Tour)