Created By: Rideau District Museum
The Darby Residence ~ 33 Main Street
The Darby Residence was constructed by a carriager by the name of W. Fife between the years 1857-1860, and has since seen a long line of businesses: Frank Wing's furniture shop, McCann the shoemaker, Mrs. Scott's hat shoppe, and Darby's insurance office, to name a few.
This building is unusual due to the double entrances in front. In its earlier days, one of these was used for the shop, and the other for the family residence. The building itself was constructed of limestone, possibly from the old Lynn quarry on the Salem Road.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Walking Tour of Westport, Ontario