Created By: Scripps College
These bronze doors were designed in 1939 by Lawrence Tenney Stevens. Stevens was an American sculptor who was known for his allegorical figures and stylized depictions of the American West. Stevens became good friends with Millard Sheets, who helped him obtain a one-man exhibition at Scripps in 1935. One of the works in the exhibit was a ceramic sea lion that was later replicated by Scripps professor William Manker. The replication would go on to become the fountains in Seal Court, after having been recast in bronze by Paul Soldner. It was Millard Sheets who persuaded Stevens to loan the doors to the College. They remained on long term loan until Scripps College Trustee Mrs. G. F. Cruickshank donated them permanently. The intricate doors were conserved in the summer of 2012 by Scripps alumna Gretchen Allen ’14.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Scripps Art Tour