Created By: North Dakota State University
The Gardner Hotel, which opened in 1909, was once considered Fargo’s premiere hotel. The hotel was completely planned, built and financed by Fargoans. It was designed by Fargo Architects the Hancock Brothers and cost $150,000 to build. The hotel included featured 150 rooms, steam heat, a public dining room, a barber’s shop and a billiard room. The hotel mostly catered to travelling salesmen but for time to time hosted celebrities and dignitaries like Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Charlie Chaplin, Charles Lindbergh and James J. Hill.
The Gardner went through a major renovation in 1941. In 1985, the building was converted into a 129 unit apartment complex.
The Gardner is one of the most elaborate Classical Revival buildings in downtown Fargo. Note the paired cornice and foliated metal frieze, the brick quoins, and the stone balustrade over the Roberts Street entrance. Other Classical Revival features the hotel dons are egg and dart trim at the tops of the corner piers above the first story, and stylized Corinthian capitols at the top of the pilasters.
This point of interest is part of the tour: A Look Around Downtown Fargo