First recorded in 1591; this is assumed to be the inn visited in 1655 by George Fox, founder of the Society of Friends, as travelling Quakers continued to use it.
In 1777 it was bought by John Pryor, the brewer. It was a busy coaching inn with extensive stabling, part of which was on land rented from the adjoining churchyard from 1692
A large smithy stood opposite, on the island in the High Street market place, later the Town Hall. Despite its prime position it did not become the town’s leading inn until after the closure of the old White Horse in 1864. The present building was ‘new built in brick’ in 1792; the further wing on the left is 20th century.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Baldock Sights - Part 2