Created By: Ithaca Heritage
On the 100th Block of Cleveland Avenue, the Monitor newspaper was developed in 1923. The editors were C. O. Wilson and Eliot Douglas. During its' short, three-year run, it reported on social and cultural activities of the African American community in Ithaca. It linked residents of Wheat Street with African American students attending Cornell University. In 1990 Gregory Rolle revived the Wheat Street Monitor for a short run of issues following the production of Counting Wheat Street, a play produced at the First Street Theater.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Southside Loop