Created By: North Dakota State University
The Edwards Building, currently occupied by The Old Broadway, was built in 1900 by businessman Alex Stern. Stern constructed the building to fill the lot that was left vacant after the Fargo Fire of 1893. He named it after Major Alanson Edwards. Sterns clothing store, Alex Stern & Co. occupied the building from 1903 to 1954. It was replaced by the S & L (Salkin & Linoff, Inc.) Department Store, which remained in the building until it was taken over by the Herbst Department store and later the Old Broadway.
A third floor of the building existed until it was removed in 1968-1969.
The Old Broadway was opened as a restaurant in 1975 by Katherine Haug. In 1977, the Old Broadway added evening hours and opened what is reported to be the first Disco in Fargo. In the years since, the OB has transitioned to a three-themed building that features: The Old Broadway Restaurant, The OB City Club (replacing the Disco), and the OB Sports Zone which is situated in the West side of the building. The club went under major renovations in the Summer of 2016. Renovations expanded the building towards Broadway, and constructed new bars within The OB City Club and Sports Zone.
This point of interest is part of the tour: A Look Around Downtown Fargo