Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Located at 2 East Main Street is a modest brick building, now painted white, constructed for Joseph McGraw, Jr. (1812-1892) in 1840. McGraw was the son of early Irish immigrants to the region, and was raised in the Irish settlement of the Dryden township. Because of its convenient location on the southeast corner of the crossroads, McGraw operated his mercantile business at this site for several years. The shop was purchased by Cyrus French in 1860, thence forth serving as the home of French Brothers Furniture until the 1890’s. The building was then used as a hardware store for the first part of the 20th century. The exterior features many Federal-style architectural details, such as the elliptical motif beneath the gable on the north façade. This is one of the only brick-masonry commercial structures in downtown Dryden. 2 East Main Street is a contributing structure of the Village of Dryden National Historic District.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Village of Dryden