Created By: neighbourhood history group
This 1927 home was designed by and built for Francis Portnall, one of Saskatchewan’s most celebrated architects. He lived here until his death in 1976. Portnall designed many prominent Regina buildings, including the Knox-Metropolitan United Church, the Federal Building, the Norman McKenzie Art Gallery, the Grenfell Apartments, Court of Queen’s Bench, and historic Davin, Thompson and Herchmer Schools. He also designed many Regina homes, including 56, 139, and 190 Angus Crescent. He designed a home for his sister across the street, at 130 Angus, which was demolished in 2014.
His home designs are known for their creative details. This Tudor Revival styled home features diamond-shaped detailing under the front gable composed of glass bottle bottoms, and segmented octagonal chimney stacks constructed of red brick. The home has been on the Regina Heritage Holding Bylaw List since 1989.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Cathedral Village