Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Welcome to Dryden! The first stop on this tour is the Southworth Homestead, located at 14 North Street. This house, one of the village’s earliest residences, was first owned by John Southworth (1796-1863). John was ten years old when he came to Dryden with his father, Thomas Southworth, in 1806. John established himself as a community leader in Dryden, managing a number of businesses including a 50-acre farm, a store, and several land holdings. By 1836, he had acquired enough wealth to build his brick home on North Street. The homestead site is near the intersection of North Street and Main Street, the original crossroads of the village, also known as the “Four Corners.” The architectural features of the house reflect the transition from the Federal to Greek Revival style that defined design tastes of the first three decades of the 19th century. It is believed that the smaller wood-frame portion of the house predates the brick structure. Some of the original glass window panes, which can be identified by their wavy appearance, have been preserved. Upon the death of the last Southworth descendant, the homestead was bequeathed to the Dryden Town Historical Society. The Southworth Homestead is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Village of Dryden