This pub was the brewery tap for the Pale Ale Brewery located behind the pub. The brewery was established in 1823 and closed in 1904. The pub passed to Wells & Winch of Biggleswade, they rebuilt it in the 1930s. Greene King took it over and continued to own the pub at the time of its closure in 1980. The premises are now in commercial use.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Baldock Sights - Part 2