Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
303 North Aurora Street, built in 1880-1881
This Queen Anne style building was originally commissioned by Calvin D. Stowell, a local grocer. R. C. Osborn purchased the house in 1914 and married Agda Swenson in 1922. Although R. C. Osborn passed away in 1954, Agda Swenson Osborn remained in the home until her death in 1996. A well-known community leader, she helped found Historic Ithaca, the Hangar Theatre, Family and Children’s Service, and the City Federation of Women’s Organizations. Lynette Scofield purchased the home in 1998 and began converting it into an inn, which opened in March 1999. Distinctive features of this house include the tower with its iron weathervane, the iron snow eagles on the roof, the half-timbering in the gable ends and near the windows, and the brickwork on the chimneys. The carriage house, also designed by Miller, was built in 1892.
This point of interest is part of the tour: William Henry Miller Downtown Architecture Walking Tour