Created By: Ithaca Heritage
The current Tompkins County Courthouse was built in 1932 in a neo-Georgian style popularized by restoration work in Williamsburg, Virginia. Authentic Georgian architecture prevailed in the English colonies from 1700 to 1780 but is not represented in Ithaca, which was settled later. The building exhibits many typical Georgian features, such as the primary use of brick and stone, the column-flanked doorway crowned by an ornate broken pediment, and the small-paned windows. J. Lakin Baldridge, a 1922 Cornell University School of Architecture graduate, designed the courthouse and the adjacent former jail.
This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District