Created By: North Dakota State University
The Trangsrud Elevator was originally built near Kindred, ND as a grainery in the early 1900's by Amund Trangsrud and his son, Henry. In the 1920's, the elevator and 10,000 pound scale for grain were added.
The elevator stands at 30 feet in height and horses with wagons were able to drive straight on to the grain scale. The grain would be shoveled out of the wagons onto scales underneath. A continuously running chain would scoop grain up into "cups." These cups, or buckets, would bring the grain up to the top of the elevator into a distribution shaft, which would use gravity to pour the grain into one of the bins on the ground floor of the elevator. Once they were unloaded, the wagons drove out the other side. This elevator could hold up to 6,300 bushels of grain at one time thanks to its 10 storage bins.
The Trangsrud Elevator was in continuous use until the 1970's. The elevator and its companion farmhouse were donated to Bonanzaville in 2009. Thanks to generous donations from the Trangsrud Family and the community, the elevator received a new roof in the spring of 2018.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Bonanzaville Agriculture Tour