Created By: Douglas T Stiff
This section of the TransCanada Trail was historically a Canadian Pacific Railway line that connected existing rail networks between Ottawa and the St. Lawrence via Carleton Place, constructed in 1870 to provide alternative routes for freight and passenger service. Service was discontinued on the line in the 1960s, with the relocation of Ottawa’s train station away from the downtown core. The right-of-way would be considered as a potential route for the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway in the 1970s, but was eventually be converted to a multi-use pathway and incorporated as part of the TransCanada Trail in (199x?).
This point of interest is part of the tour: Britannia Village History