Created By: Kristin Bowl
33 Potomac St.- Trinity Reformed Church (Salem): The congregation of Salem Church was established many years before the founding of the town. It met as early as 1750 in a log schoolhouse located half a mile from the town off the present Route 66, where a graveyard remains (Shunk’s Church).
The first church building on this site was completed in 1810, and was dedicated as the Salem Church where both the Reformed and Lutheran congregations met until after the Civil War. A bell cast in 1812 was imported from England and placed in the belfry. Reformed members tore down the old church to build the present structure in the Gothic Romanesque style, completing it in 1870.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Boonsboro, Maryland Walking Tour