Created By: Kristin Bowl
2 South Main St.- U.S. Hotel: The U.S. Hotel was built in 1811 on the site of Mrs. Short’s earlier log store. Dr. Slifer used it originally as a residence and later as a female seminary. During the Civil War, it operated as the U.S. Hotel. A Confederate officer, Col. Bassett French, was forced to hide in the coal bin in the basement when he was surprised by a contingent of Union troops.
The original bar from the hotel is in the Boonsborough Museum of History. For most of the first half of the twentieth century, this was the residence and offices of Dr. Hubert Wade.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Boonsboro, Maryland Walking Tour