Created By: Bloomsburg High School - Social Studies in Action
Bloomsburg’s Colonial revival style post office is a handsome addition to the streetscape. The red brick and white trim harmonize with nearby buildings. The triangular pediment and fan light echo the pediment and arched windows of the public library across the street. Like Roy King’s sculpture for the Bloomsburg post office, Edward Hicks depicts a frieze-like procession of livestock. Although the figures in the background appear to be wealthy gentleman farmers as opposed to the working farm family in King’s sculpture. Edward Hicks was a devout Quaker and sign painter who lived in Bucks County. The building is constructed within the High Georgian Style, complete with Flemish bond veneer brickwork. Of note in the lobby are low-relief sculptures depicting agricultural scenes. Built as a project of the Depression-era Works Progress Administration. From the year 1840 to the year 1847, J. R. Moyer, postmaster, operated the Post Office in his store on this site.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Walking Tour of Bloomsburg