Created By: Pulaski County Tourism Bureau & Visitors Center
Ground breaking ceremony was held Jul 11 2017.
A campaign to establish the U.S.O. in the Fort Leonard Wood area began in March 1941. The military was still segregate, thus calling for separate clubs for white and colored Soldiers. On March 8, 1942, a dedication ceremony was held to celebrate the new U.S.O. Club for colored Soldiers. The club was located on Route 17, just outside of Fort Leonard Wood main gate.
In 1943, the colored U.S.O. was placed under the direction of the Salvation Army were it remained until the desegregation of the military in the late 1940s.
The land was bought by Earl Livingston in 1951. The building was changed to the Chimney Trailer Park and later the Chimney Pawn and Gun until the building was torn down. Mr. Carney of Rolla, used the building materials to build part of the Manor Inn in Rolla.
The U.S.O. chimney was left standing until 2010, when the heir to Mr. Livingston donated the chimney to the City of St Robert.
The ground breaking ceremony was held July 11, 2017 with the dedication of the USO Chimney held October 2018.
Courtesy of Terry Primas, (2005)
Old Settlers Gazette
This point of interest is part of the tour: Must Stop's in Saint Robert, Missouri